Skip to content

Couple Seeking Planning Permission

July 27, 2010

Once the plans had been drawn up and revised many times, we were ready to apply for planning permission for our build or in planning terms: dwelling house, detached garage, treatment unit and sand polishing bed, well, and associated site works  and room for a pony (ok I made the last bit up!).

The application forms for planning permission can be found on each local authority’s website. There are three different types of permission you can apply for:

1. Permission (or sometimes referred to as full permission) 

2. Outline permission

3. Permission consequent on outline permission.

Permission is the most common type applied for but if you want to check that the planning authority agrees in principle to you building a house on a particular site or building a large extension, you could apply for outline permission.  This requires you to submit only the information that is necessary to enable the planning authority to make a decision in relation to the site, layout etc. Some people prefer to go down this route before spending a lot of money having a complete design drawn up. However, if you do get outline permission, you will then have to submit detailed drawings and receive consequent permission (listed as 3 above) before you start can to build.

On the advise of our local councillor, we opted to apply for full permission from the start. It generally takes 8 weeks for the planning authority to make a decision once they receive an application but they may also request additional information which can delay the decision further. If the local authority decides to grant permission, they issue a notice of intention to grant planning permission. If there are no appeals regarding the decision to An Bord Pleanála within 4 weeks, grant of permission from the local authority will be then issued. Remember that anyone can see a copy of your application once they pay a fee on €20 to the local authority.

Before submitting your application, you must give notice of it in the newspaper (each local authority has a list of acceptable publications) and you must erect a site notice. All information on this is given in the planning application form.

Generally when applying for full permission, you will need to submit the following documents along with your application:

  • A map showing the location of the development (6 copies)
  • Site or layout plan (6 copies)
  • House plans including elevations and sections (6 copies).
  • Copies of public notices (placed in the newspaper and site).
  • A plan showing the position of the site notice
  • Application Fee

A very useful resource for information on the planning system can be found on the website of the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government:

Once we’d double and triple checked everything, we submitted the application form, sat back, crossed our fingers and waited for a decision.

One Comment leave one →
  1. Pippared permalink
    August 6, 2010 12:14 pm

    I must make a note of all that info…….hopefully I will need it one day….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: